Supernatural Magazine

7 Sightings In Six Decades That “Didn’t” Happen. Part 3 Cash/Landrum Incident UFO

7 Sightings In Six Decades That “Didn’t” Happen. Part 3 Cash/Landrum Incident

By 1980, thousands of people in the United States and abroad made reports of either witnessing a UFO or being a victim of alien abduction. Of course, those involved in the cover-up found new and interesting ways to explain away the reports. However, an incident would occur in Dayton, Texas that would make it difficult to explain away these reports. Because not only was physical evidence involved but a multi-million dollar lawsuit was brought against the United States Government. Little green men and their human cohorts were about to be put on trial for the whole world to see.

On the evening of December 29, 1980 Betty Cash, Victoria Landrum and Landrum’s seven year old grandson were driving home after a night out. A night out that ended with all three witnessing the unthinkable that not only terrified them but caused all three serious medical problems that would plague them for years to come.

As they drove down a lonely country road, the 3 unwitting victims watched as a diamond shaped object descended from the sky spitting out multicolour flames. Flames so hot that the paint job and the chassis became superheated resulting in damage. Vickie Landrum, a devout born again Christian, believed the craft was a manifestation of the second coming of Jesus Christ. Her grandson was understandably terrified and could not look away from the terrible sight before him. The sighting was broke off when several Chinook helicopters appeared on the horizon causing the craft to shoot off into the night sky. According to Landrum, the sighting lasted all of five minutes.

A couple weeks after the sighting, the two women and the young boy visited their doctor with strange symptoms. All three had painful burn marks on their bodies, vomiting terrible migraine headaches. After being examined by the doctor, he came back with a diagnosis that perplexed him. All three appeared to be suffering from radiation sickness. In his report, the doctor remarked that the only they could have such symptoms is if they were exposed to a nuclear blast.

After much prodding, Cash and Landrum told the doctor about their sighting and coming into close proximity of a UFO. At first the doctor was sceptical but upon further consideration there could be no other explanation. The doctor told the women that if what they say were true then they needed to contact the military immediately to report the incident. After giving it much thought, not only did they report the sighting, they brought a class action lawsuit against the government in the sum of twenty million dollars.

After spending a few years tied up in litigation, the judge dismissed the case. The judge reasoned that, despite their serious medical condition, Cash and Landrum could not prove that the Chinook helicopters were associated with the US government, therefore the government could not be held liable for damages. Sadly both women developed cancer bringing about a sad end to a celebrated case.

The Phoenix Lights.

So far we have covered some of the greatest sightings in the history of ufology. Each one impressive and compelling their own right. But none comes close to touching the greatest mass sighting of all, the world famous case known simply as The Phoenix Lights.

On a hot summer night in 1997, the population of Phoenix, Arizona was treated to a spectacular light show. Between 7:30 and 10:30 pm, thousands in the city and surrounding area witnessed several bright lights burning brilliantly over their city. Several pictures and videos were taken of the lights; some of the footage appears to show the lights were part of a large triangular shaped craft. A craft that had been witnessed flying over the deserts of Arizona and its neighbouring state, Nevada a few nights before the Phoenix sighting.

A few days after the initial sighting, a local airfield was contacted by local politicians, asking them if they had anything in the air that night. At first, the airfield claimed they had nothing in the air that night. However, a few days later, that same airfield backpedalled by saying that the lights were tactical flairs dropped by an A-10 Warthog on manoeuvres. Almost twenty years later witnesses are still not sure what they saw, but one thing they are sure of that whatever the lights were they were anything but tactical flairs.

The O’Hare Sighting.

For our last sighting that “Didn’t” happen, I felt appropriate to bring it back home to my home turf of Chicago, Illinois and the craft that was seen hovering over one the busiest airports in the world, O’Hare international airport.

At 4:30 PM on November 7, 2006 several airport employees, including airline flight crews, witnessed a large saucer shaped object hovering a few hundred feet over gate C-17. The airport was so alarmed by the report that several planes were put on standby. Nothing was allowed to land or take off until airport officials could get to the bottom of what people were seeing.

The mysterious craft in question stuck around for approximately 5 minutes until it abruptly vanished. Several area news agencies reported on the sighting causing a minor stir, after all it was only 5 years after terrorists brought down the World Trade Centre and anything in the skies over airports was aggressively reported on. But as with any other sighting it was immediately explained away as nothing more than an oddly shaped cloud. Putting to rest the fears of those who thought that some unknown craft was threatening the city.

Officially these sightings, and thousands more like them, didn’t happen. The United States Government and US military has gone to great lengths to cover-up and explain away these sightings. Now keep in mind, I’m not one for conspiracy theories. However, I can’t dismiss these seven sightings as easily as they have. Something is being seen in our skies, something not of this world.

Rick Hale

Rick Hale

Rick Hale has spent his life in the pursuit of the unknown after witnessing an apparition at his grandparents’ house on the north side of Chicago.

Over the past 20-plus years, Rick has been on dozens of investigations with large paranormal groups to being completely independent.